The Pacific Whaling Company built a processing station in 1912 across Akutan Harbor from Akutan village in the eastern Aleutian Fox Islands. It was the only whaling station in the Aleutians, and operated until 1939.
The Tyee Whaling Company established the first shore whaling station in Alaska in 1907. The company had a steam-powered whale chaser, the 97-foot "Tyee Junior", whose equipment included a harpoon gun on the bow.
Bowhead whale jawbones are lined up on Cross Island in the Beaufort Sea near a whaling camp for the village of Nuiqsut. There are 11 villages in Alaska that hunt bowhead whales during the spring and fall migration.
CoastView is a non-profit science education company. Our mission is to promote exploration of the Alaska, Pacific Northwest, and California coasts through pictures and stories. Please contact us with suggestions, comments, or to report errors. We gratefully accept donations or sponsorships. Thanks for visiting!