The SSIslander was a 240-feet (73 m) long steel hull, twin-screw steamer, built in Scotland in 1888, and owned and operated by the Canadian-Pacific Navigation Company. She was built especially for the Inside Passage to Alaska and the Klondike gold fields.
On December 10, 1988, the Aoyagi Maru, a 288-feet (88 m) long Japanese fish refrigerant vessel, was tied up alongside and transferring fish from the Bering Trader in Lost Harbor. A winter storm was blowing and Bering Trader's anchor dragged.
Captains Bay is the southern arm of Unalaska Bay on the northeast coast of Unalaska Island. A number of shipwrecks are now decaying in the shallows in an area called Port Levashef, including the wreck of the SS Northwestern.
The Arness Dock is in Nikiski Bay on the Kenai Peninsula. The private dock was built from surplused Liberty Ships and is used to support oilfield supply vessels for the offshore platforms in Cook Inlet.
CoastView is a non-profit science education company. Our mission is to promote exploration of the Alaska, Pacific Northwest, and California coasts through pictures and stories. Please contact us with suggestions, comments, or to report errors. We gratefully accept donations or sponsorships. Thanks for visiting!