The Alitak fish processing plant is located on Lazy Bay at the southern end of Kodiak Island and near the Alutiiq village of Akhiok. In 2017, the old cannery celebrated its 100th year of operation in one of the world’s most remote areas.
The Cassiar Cannery is one of the few structures remaining on the lower Skeena River of British Columbia where 26 canneries once lined the coast. The Cassiar Cannery was built in 1889 when these facilities were essentially self-sufficient small towns.
The North Pacific Cannery was built in 1888 on 183 acres of crown land near the mouth of the Skeena River, British Columbia. It had almost 90 years of continuous fish processing that ended in the late 1970s.
Port William was a herring saltery prior to 1930 operated by S. Sklaroff and Sons. In 1930, it began salmon canning operations as the Port William Packing Company. It is now a charter fishing base and was recently the site of a significant oil spill.
Excursion Inlet was originally an Alaska Native village and since 1891, the site of a fish cannery. The current facility, owned by Ocean Beauty, was constructed in 1918 and is one of the largest and most successful canneries in Alaska.
Butedale is a ghost town along the Inside Passage route to Alaska. In 1918 it was the northernmost salmon cannery in BC established by Western Packers and later purchased by the Canadian Fishing Company.
CoastView is a non-profit science education company. Our mission is to promote exploration of the Alaska, Pacific Northwest, and California coasts through pictures and stories. Please contact us with suggestions, comments, or to report errors. We gratefully accept donations or sponsorships. Thanks for visiting!