Jackass Creek is located in Mendocino County, 14 air miles (22.5 km) southeast of Shelter Cove, 15 miles (24 km) south-southwest of Garberville, and 18 miles (30 km) north-northwest of Westport, California.
See more pictures of Gingolx here
Gingolx is located near the mouth of Nass Bay, about 2.5 miles (4 km) from Portland Inlet, 105 miles (170 km) northwest of Terrace and 51 miles (82 km) north-northeast of Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Gingolx is one of four Nisga'a villages that make up the Nisga'a Nation. The name Gingolx comes from the Nisga'a language words meaning "scalp givers". Historically, the people of Gingolx would hang their enemies' scalps on sticks as a warning to intruders.
The site of Gingolx has been inhabited for millennia on a seasonal basis by clans of the Nisga’a. The village was extremely isolated and before contact with settlers the Daaxan, or the Killerwhale clan, inhabited the eastern side of the village, and the Gitxun, or Eagle clan, inhabited the western side of the village. Gingolx became a permanent settlement in 1867 when Christian missionaries came down river by raft. The first European type buildings included a church and school built in 1879. Today, the community has four clans including Killer Whale, Eagle, Raven and Wolf. In 2003, a road 17 miles (28 km) long was completed from Gingolx to Greenville which connected Gingolx to the other three Nisga'a communities. This road, the Kincolith Extension Highway, links Gingolx to the Nisga'a Highway with connections to the Yellowhead and Cassiar Highways.
The Nass River flows southwest for 240 miles (380 km) from the Coast Mountains to Nass Bay, off of Portland Inlet, and connects to the North Pacific Ocean via Dixon Entrance. The English name "Nass" is derived from the Tlingit name “Naas” which means "intestines" or "guts" in reference to the river as a source of food. The Nisga'a name for the river is “K'alii Aksim Lisims" or “Lisims Valley", where “Lisims” means "murky" referring to the river's silt-laden flow. The last 25 miles (40 km) of the river are navigable and the river still supports a commercially valuable salmon fishery. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the Coastview app and explore more of Gingolx here:
See more pictures of Albion River here
The Albion River is 18 miles (29 km) long and drains a watershed of about 43 square miles (110 sq km) on the Mendocino Coast and empties into the Pacific Ocean near the town of Albion, California. The river starts only 15 miles (24 km) from the coast, at an elevation of about 1,570 feet (480 m). There is a large estuary at the mouth of the river that is tidal for 5 miles (8 km) upstream. The northern California coast was given the name New Albion in 1579 by Sir Francis Drake. Albion was an ancient name for Britain, from the Latin word “albus”, meaning white, a reference to the White Cliffs of Dover.
A sawmill was built near the mouth of the river in 1853. The mill was converted to steam power in 1856 and burned in 1867. The mill was rebuilt and the Albion River Railroad was constructed in 1885 to bring logs downstream to the sawmill. The rough lumber was shipped to San Francisco where the Albion Lumber Company had a planing mill and lumber drying facilities. By 1895, a company town and wharf were located near the mouth of the river. The last log went through the Albion sawmill on 19 May 1928, the railroad ceased operation on 16 January 1930, and the railroad was dismantled for scrap in 1937. Today, logging of the watershed continues and is the cause of river sedimentation. Over half of the land in the watershed is owned by Mendocino Redwood Company, and most of the land is third and fourth-growth forest. The river has no dams or reservoirs and provides recreation, groundwater recharge and industrial water supply for the community of Albion, as well as wildlife habitat including cold freshwater for fish migration and spawning.
The community of Albion lies directly on California State Route 1 that crosses the river on the only remaining wooden bridge on the coastal route. The Albion River has been crossed by a bridge since 1861, however, until the present bridge was built in 1944, the crossing was low, and could be reached only by treacherous grades up and down the bluffs on either side of the river. The current bridge was built of salvaged wood because of World War II shortages of concrete and steel. It includes a steel center truss that was also salvaged, possibly from an older bridge in Oregon, supported by concrete towers. It is 970 feet (300 m) long and its deck is 26 feet (7.9 m) wide. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in July 2017. Read more here and here. Explore more of Albion here:
Twin Rocks is a small community on the Oregon coast in Tillamook County and is one of three communities along 3 miles (5 km) of beach between Rockaway Beach and Garibaldi, Oregon.