See more pictures of Brockton Point here
Brockton Point is on a peninsula forming the north side of Coal Harbour in Vancouver, British Columbia. The point was named after Francis Brockton who was the ship's engineer of HMS Plumper under the command of Captain Henry Richards. In 1859, Brockton found a vein of coal and subsequently Governor James Douglas named the area Coal Harbour and the point after Brockton.
Before 1865, the point was used as a graveyard for early settlers who came to Vancouver. Edward Stamp cleared away part of the site in order to build a sawmill, however, the mill was never built due to rough currents around the point and a reef offshore that would impede the construction of log booms. He ended up moving the mill to Gastown, becoming Hastings Mill. The cleared point then became the primary sports fields of early Vancouver. The point is now the most easterly part of Stanley Park and home of a 100-year-old lighthouse.
In 1890, a rudimentary light consisting of red and white lanterns mounted on a mast was placed at Brockton Point to mark the sharp turn toward First Narrows for outbound ships and toward Coal Harbour for inbound vessels. William D. Jones was hired as the first keeper of the light. Jones built a cottage out of driftwood collected from the nearby shore and lived in this home attached to the bell tower for many years. In 1902, a house was built with a bay window from which a fixed white light with a red sector was displayed to replace the original pole light, and a separate wooden bell tower was constructed. In 1914, Brockton Point was transformed with the construction of the current tower with an automated light. It was designed by British Landscape Architect Thomas Hayton Mawson, who also constructed the lifeboat house and other landmarks in Stanley Park. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastVIew app and explore more of Brockton Point here: