Carry Inlet, Shuyak Island

See more pictures of Carry Inlet here

Carry Inlet in an embayment about 0.5 miles (0.9 km) across, on the north coast of Shuyak Island, 62 miles (100 km) north of Kodiak, Alaska. The inlet name was first published in 1911 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Shuyak Island is part of the Kodiak archipelago and was designated a state park after the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.

The convoluted shoreline of Carry Inlet was thought by Russian explorers to be part of a large islet belonging to the Perevalnie Islands. The name "Ostrov Perevalnyy" meaning "draw across", probably referring to the portage or carrying of small boats, was published in 1849 by the Russian American Company. In 1906, Baker of the U.S. Geological Survey applied this name to the largest of the Perevalnie Islands, though it seems that the generic "Inlet" is a typographical error for the original “Islet”. Since then it was discovered that what was thought of as a large island is actually part of Shuyak Island.

Shuyak Island is about 11 miles (18 km) across and separated from Afognak Island by the narrow Shuyak Strait. The Stevenson Entrance to Cook Inlet separates Shuyak from the Barren Islands. The Alaska Koniag name was reported by G.I. Shelikov in 1785. This may be the same island called "Isla de Bonilla" on Don Juan de la Bodega y Quadra's map from 1791. The island's current major industry is tourism based on camping, recreational fishing, hunting, and kayaking. In the past the island was home to a large fish processing facility at Port William. Shuyak Island State Park comprises most of the island's territory, approximately 47,000 acres (19,020 ha). The park includes a coastal rain forest of Sitka spruce and an intricate coastline with convoluted waterways. The park has four public use cabins that are only accessible via air or water. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Carry Inlet here:


web counter code