See more pictures of Ruckle Provincial Park here
Ruckle Provincial Park is located at Beaver Point on the southeastern shore of Salt Spring Island, at the end of Beaver Point Road about 6 miles (10 km) west of Fulford Harbour, in the Southern Gulf Islands, British Columbia. The park has 1200 acres (486 ha) of land and 4 miles (7 km) of shoreline, rocky headlands and bays. A mixture of forest, field and shore habitats makes it one of the most productive wildlife viewing areas on Salt Spring Island.
First Nations used this area for millenia to gather shellfish and harvest camas. Henry Ruckle emigrated from Ireland to Ontario, and then California, before finally homesteading on Salt Spring Island in 1872. He married Ella Anna Christensen in 1877 and their descendants have farmed the Salt Spring property for more than a century. They donated most of their property to the province for a park in 1974, and the Ruckle family still raises sheep on private land near the entrance to the campground. Continuous use of this land for farming purposes from the 1890s until today makes the Ruckle Farm the oldest continuously operated farm in British Columbia.
Henry Ruckle built a wharf at a sheltered cove north of Beaver Point to provide local settlers with an easier link to Vancouver Island. Before the steamer service began in 1889, Salt Spring Islanders had to row to Vancouver Island for supplies. By 1900, there were six scheduled sailings per week from the Ruckle wharf, including two for mail deliveries. The government purchased the Ruckle wharf in 1904 for $400 and rebuilt it in 1910, and then again in 1925. The wharf housed a general store, post office, and the residence of Mr. and Mrs. William Patterson from 1915 until the 1950s. When the ferry service moved from Beaver Point to Fulford Harbour, the Patterson business moved with it, and the wharf and building were dismantled in 1960. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the Coastview app and explore more of Ruckle Provincial Park here: