See more pictures of Allyn here
Allyn is a community on the western shore of Case Inlet, in the North Bay region near the mouth of Sherwood Creek in southern Puget Sound, Washington. The community was first settled in 1853, and platted as a town named after Judge Frank Allyn of Tacoma in September 6, 1889. By 1890, Allyn had a post office, school, newspaper, sawmill, two saloons, a hotel, and an economically important wharf that stretched across the tidal mudflats to deep water.
From the 1870s to the 1920s, Allyn was served by a small flotilla of steamboats that connected communities along Case Inlet before a road network was built. The Port of Allyn was formed in 1921 to maintain a commercial dock for both Allyn and the neighboring community of Belfair. The dock at Allyn was a trestle extending 580 feet (176 m) out from Drum Street, in the same location as today’s Allyn Dock. A wharf was built at the end of the trestle that was 61 feet (18.6 m) wide by 73 feet (22 m) long. A covered warehouse was on the north end used for many years to store lumber, hay, grain, and other trade goods for local businesses. The south end had a storage shed, that eventually was converted to an oyster processing plant. The last scheduled steamboat run from Tacoma to Allyn occurred in 1924. As roads improved and auto, bus, and truck transport became popular, stores moved closer to the highways and commercial water traffic declined. Today, the main road through town is State Route 3.
In the 1920’s and 1930s logging and farming were the principal industries employing Allyn and Belfair residents. During the 1940s, civilian workers employed during World War II in Bremerton at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard occupied all available housing within driving distance of work including the communities of Allyn and Belfair. During the war years, the oyster industry grew substantially due to the rationing of meat and increased consumption of fish and shellfish as meat substitutes. The North Bay of Case Inlet is very productive for shellfish and the covered shed on the wharf at Allyn was leased to a succession of oyster companies for a period of 30 years and continued to be used until 1974 when the dock was renovated. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Allyn here: