Ten Mile Point, Cadboro Bay

See more pictures of Ten Mile Point here

Flower Island is a small uninhabited islet just offshore from Ten Mile Point at the entrance to Cadboro Bay, British Columbia. The name Ten Mile Point is from a small headland on the eastern shore of the peninsula that is 10 nautical miles (18.5 km) by sea from Esquimalt, the headquarters for the Pacific Station of the British Royal Navy from 1865 to 1905. The headland is also the most easterly point on Vancouver Island. Ten Mile Point is also the name of a residential neighborhood on the eastern shore of Cadboro Bay in the Saanich District of Victoria.

Prevost Hill is the highest elevation on the peninsula and was named after James Charles Prevost, the British commissioner in the negotiations to settle the San Juan boundary dispute. Ten Mile Point has many secluded beaches and coves that were popular during the prohibition years of the early 1900’s. For example, Smuggler's Cove was used as a boat landing and launch for rumrunners traveling back and forth to the United States. Another is called Telegraph Cove that was the location of a dynamite factory which operated in the late 19th century. In the early part of the 20th century, Ten Mile Point became a summer retreat and it gradually developed into the present upscale suburb of Victoria.

Cadboro Bay was the historical site of Sungayka, a village of the Songhees First Nation for about 8,000 years until the mid 1800s when they were relocated to Victoria’s inner harbor. Cadboro Bay takes its name from the schooner Cadboro used by the Hudson's Bay Company in the Pacific Northwest Coast in the early 19th century. The 72 ton vessel carried 6 guns and had a crew of 35 men. In 1842, James Douglas, who later became the Governor of the Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia, and six other company staff traveled from Fort Vancouver overland to Fort Nisqually in southern Puget Sound. The Cadboro was then sailed north to reconnoitre the location for what would become Fort Camosun, shortly afterwards renamed Fort Victoria. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Ten Mile Point here:


web counter code