See more pictures of Point No Point here
Point No Point is a low sandspit near the junction of Admiralty Inlet and Puget Sound on the northeast point of the Kitsap Peninsula, about 1.3 miles (2.1 km) southeast of Hansville, Washington. In 1841, Charles Wilkes of the U.S. Exploring Expedition approached the spit thinking it was a substantial point. On finding that it was much smaller than he had expected, Wilkes designated the spit Point No Point. Native Americans had a more descriptive name for the point “Hahd-skus”, meaning long nose.
On January 25, 1855, Isaac Stevens, the governor of the newly organized Washington Territory, summoned a treaty council to Point No Point, which was attended by 1,200 American Indians of the Chimakum, Klallam, and Skokomish tribes. Point No Point was a midpoint between the tribal centers. The Point No Point Treaty was signed between the United States and the delegates of the tribes the following day. Under the terms of the treaty, the original inhabitants of northern Kitsap Peninsula and Olympic Peninsula were to cede ownership of their land in exchange for small reservations along Hood Canal and a payment of $60,000 from the federal government, thus ending the Indian wars. The site of the treaty signing is now the location of the Point No Point Light.
Point No Point Light is an operational aid to navigation located where Admiralty Inlet joins Puget Sound. In February 1880, when construction was finished, the original masonry structure was 27 feet (8.2 m) high and the lantern room held a fifth-order Fresnel lens. With no roads to the lighthouse for its first 40 years, supplies had to be brought in by boat and the lightkeepers lived in Hansville. In 1898, the original lens was replaced with a fourth order Fresnel lens. In 1975, a 90-foot (27 m) radar tower was built on the west side of the lighthouse used for the Vessel Traffic Service. In 1997, the last Coast Guard personnel left Point No Point and it stood empty until it was leased to Kitsap County Parks and Recreation. In 2006, the Coast Guard replaced the light with a low-maintenance, post-mounted, rotating beacon. Since 2008, the lightkeeper's residence has been the national headquarters of the United States Lighthouse Society. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Point No Point here: