See more pictures of Bear Cove here:
Bear Cove is a small embayment on the Kenai Peninsula that extends east for 1.8 miles (2.9 km) off Kachemak Bay, about 18 miles (29 km) northeast of Homer, Alaska. The local name was first recorded on a 1912 cartographic fieldsheet by D.F. Higgins and R.H. Sargent of the U.S. Geological Survey. Several prominent pioneer Alaskans homesteaded the land surrounding Bear Cove beginning in the late 1940’s including Harold and Roxy Pomeroy, and Ted and Elsa Pederson. Much of the land has now been subdivided into small parcels along the shoreline for seasonal and vacation residences.
Harold Pomeroy moved to Alaska in 1949 and later became director of the Alaska Territorial Civil Defense, and the first chairman of the Kenai Peninsula Borough. His wife, Roxolana (Roxy) Skobelska was born in 1924 in the Ukraine. She studied at the University of Vienna and was a courier for the anti-Nazi underground during World War II. After the war she worked as an interpreter for the Allied occupation of Austria. In 1948, she emigrated to the United States and in 1949 moved to Alaska. She and Harold had a sawmill and small farm on a Bear Cove homestead and sold timber and vegetables in the Homer area. They moved to Soldotna in 1963 and later to Anchorage.
Ted Pedersen was born in 1905 on Samalga Island in the Aleutians, the son of Captain Christian T. Pedersen who was a well-known Norwegian whaler and fur trader. His Aleut mother died in 1906. After completing his education, he worked as a lighthouse keeper at Cape Saint Elias on Kayak Island and Cape Sarichef on Unimak Island. He married his second wife, Elsa, in 1942 and the couple homesteaded at Bear Cove in 1945. He later worked as a marine pilot in the Aleutians until 1985. Elsa was a prolific writer and often published in Alaska magazine, national publications, and for the Anchorage Daily News until 1995. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Bear Cove here: