Slip Point, Clallam Bay

See more pictures of Slip Point here:

Slip Point is located on the southern shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, at the eastern end of Clallam Bay, and about 0.7 miles (1 km) northeast of the community of Clallam Bay, Washington. The point is named for a natural light-colored streak on the face of the point used as a landmark by mariners during daylight hours.

In 1865, three lighthouses had been constructed along the American side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, but a gap of over 60 miles (97 km) still existed between the lights at Cape Flattery and Ediz Hook. Near the center of this gap lay Slip Point and the small fishing community of Clallam Bay. A small rocky platform located at the northern end of Slip Point was selected as the site for a fog signal and light.

The first light station was completed in 1905, with a keepers’ duplex and a single-story fog signal building. Lack of funding prevented the construction of a light tower, so instead, a lens-lantern mounted on a shelf on the northwest corner of the fog signal building served as the light. In 1913, the light station was upgraded with the intended light tower and the upgraded beacon could then be seen from the Canadian side of the strait. The light station was on the opposite side of the point from the keeper's dwelling, and a long catwalk had to be negotiated each time the light and fog station needed tending. In 1951, a skeleton tower replaced the original fog house and light tower. The structures were removed, although the catwalk remained, as the light was not automated until 1977. Around 2000, this light was discontinued, replaced by a buoy to mark the point. The keeper's house remains, and the land is part of Clallam Bay Spit Community Beach County Park. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Slip Point here: