Minter, Henderson Bay

See more pictures of Minter here:

The area known as Minter was first explored in 1792, when Lieutenant Peter Puget of the Vancouver expedition was charting the area for the British Government. After being followed by local members of the Squally Tribe for several days, they were the first white men to meet and befriend local natives while fishing here at the Minter Cove sand spit on May 21st.

Minter was a community named after the Minter family who came from Nebraska and first lived in Horsehead Bay on the east side of Carr Inlet in 1882. Disappointed with the lack of food and deep forest at that time, they moved to Minter the following year to pursue better farming. They got along well with the visiting native population who frequently camped on the spit and dried salmon or collected shellfish and berries depending on the season. By 1884, several other families had moved here and Lucinda Minter began a school in her home. George Minter built a hotel in 1888, and by the turn of the century, Minter had a steamer dock, logging railway, saloon, blacksmith shop, shingle mill, social hall, brick kiln, and several stores. An oyster farm was started in 1931 and a salmon research hatchery was built in 1937 after the town had all but disappeared.

During World War I several yards in Puget Sound were building relief ships to transport food to Europe. When the war ended in November 1918 many of the ships were still under construction. Many were subsequently towed to Lake Washington Canal and anchored in Lake Union. In 1926, the surplus ships were towed into Henderson Inlet, rafted together and beached, and then burned. The ships burned for months and some floated away and sank in Carr Inlet. Almost 100 years later, the remains are still visible during very low tides at Minter. Read more here and here. Download the latest version of the CoastView app and explore more of Minter here:

web counter code